Reading is always the top priority when it comes to my kids. As a child I hated to read but no one ever showed me how to love it. I believe it was a combination of things that caused this. I never saw my parents reading. Reading was only suggested to me at school and forced as a part of curriculum. No one took the time out to help me find a book I would be interested in. I always thought I had trouble with reading comprehension growing up. The real problem was I had to read things I wasn’t interested in multiple times to actually understand it. This was easily corrected as I found books I loved and had more practice reading books I was interested in. With more practice I was able to comprehend even those books that I had no interest in. I have a child that has struggled with reading since day one and one that is picking it up easily. I have been concerned with my oldest for a while reading was not getting through to her I have tried almost every reading curriculum out there on her. The problem was not the curriculum she just wasn’t mentally ready. Now she reads at grade level and is doing well with chapter books. Once I saw her ability to read long picture books I wanted to get her started on chapter books. Here are the steps that I took to get her to read chapter books and absolutely love them. I hope these tips help you help your child to love reading chapter books. [Read more…]
Everyday I wake up and the first thing I do are think about and act on these 6 things. Doing this has improved my daily life more than I could have imagined. [Read more…]
Interacting with teens can be a struggle depending on the phase they are going though. Here are some helpful tips to get you closer to having a positive relationship with your teen.
How Much Time Should I spend with them?
Going from spending very little time to trying to spend lots of time with your teen will only freak them out and push them farther away. So instead be gradual this will look differently for everyone for example if you are a stay at home mom and it is summer time doing some thing with your child twice a week would be ok. If you are a working mom you may want to limit to once a week because you don’t spend as much time around them at home trying to spend more time then that may put them over the edge. While I understand this is frustrating and they are your kid so you shouldn’t have to tip toe around them to get them to spend time with you. You have to understand that teens are extremely complex creatures. Bellow is a list of ideas you can choose from to get your teen to enjoy your time together.
- Find an activity you both like. This could be playing ball in the back yard, watching a game on TV, going to a ball game, sewing, playing music, going fishing….. If you cant seem to find an activity you both like then find one they like that you can handle and fake it to make it.
- Go see a movie. Is there a new movie coming out that your teen has been talking about? Going to a movie in the middle of they day would be best the odds of them running in to a friend would be slim. The last thing you need is their friends seeing you two together (at least not right away). 😉
- Find a fun e-course online and learn something together, let them pick.
- Teach them something (only if they are interested). Driving is a great choice spend a lot of time practicing with them(unless you yell a lot then let your spouse do it). 😉
- Let them teach you something this will raise their self esteem as well.
- Tell them stories from their past cool ones not embarrassing ones. Pick ones like you did something faster than other kids or you surprised us one day doing this……. it was awesome!!! Better yet remind them of things they would remember like a camping trip you went on and so and so did the funniest thing…..
- If you have multiple children having a parent child monthly date always makes them feel special.
- Do a Challenge together any challenge who can read the most books, who can win in a race, who cook the tastiest dish…….
Studies have shown spending time with your teens will help limit drug and alcohol abuse. You may even learn something new about your teen, the more time you spend with them the more they will trust you and tell you things that go on in their lives. Try it out let me know how it goes. Do you have more ideas? Let us all know and share them in the comments below.
When you are a mom of 3 routines are your life line actually that goes for moms in general. When kids don’t know what to expect they have a hard time and often act out or get more emotional. When children have a schedule or routine they transition to the next task much easier and you will get more accomplished with less resistance. We want to teach our children a cense of responsibility so we have chores for them. I also homeschool year round which allows for a much more flexible schedule on days we are not feeling it, or have activities with friends, or vacations. I you don’t homeschool your days will defiantly be different. The reason I am sharing our schedule with you is because I enjoy seeing what other family’s days look like and I thought you might get an idea or two for your days. Our mornings never look the same but there is a general routine that we follow given that it is a “normal” day. As for everyone this is what I would like to call “ideal” and rarely are we able to actually complete everything. With out further ado this is our schedule…..
-5:00 Mommy wakes up with daddy chat as he is getting ready and have a cup of tea
-5:30 pray/read The Bible/Work out
-6:00 Shower and get ready for the day/ the kids will wake up anytime between 6 and 8 depending on the day.
-6:45 If the kids are not up yet I will work until they do
-7/8:00 the kids will play on their computers or have TV time until all 3 are awake then we will have breakfast together.
-8:30 Chores the girls will put away dishes/ fold towels/ start laundry/or whatever chore they have been assigned that day plus make their bed and get dressed for the day.
-9:00 School starts
-10:00 we have a 15 min break for a snack and to get some energy out
-12:00 lunch we usually have one more get the energy out break between 1015-12.
This is what our mornings look like. I will do another post on our afternoon/ evening next week. Let me know what you think. Did this help you in anyways do you have any ideas or suggestions that maybe you do differently? I would love to hear about them! Thank you for taking time to read this post. If you have any request for future post or any questions you would like me to answer don’t hesitate to ask. have a blessed day.