Interacting with teens can be a struggle depending on the phase they are going though. Here are some helpful tips to get you closer to having a positive relationship with your teen.
How Much Time Should I spend with them?
Going from spending very little time to trying to spend lots of time with your teen will only freak them out and push them farther away. So instead be gradual this will look differently for everyone for example if you are a stay at home mom and it is summer time doing some thing with your child twice a week would be ok. If you are a working mom you may want to limit to once a week because you don’t spend as much time around them at home trying to spend more time then that may put them over the edge. While I understand this is frustrating and they are your kid so you shouldn’t have to tip toe around them to get them to spend time with you. You have to understand that teens are extremely complex creatures. Bellow is a list of ideas you can choose from to get your teen to enjoy your time together.
- Find an activity you both like. This could be playing ball in the back yard, watching a game on TV, going to a ball game, sewing, playing music, going fishing….. If you cant seem to find an activity you both like then find one they like that you can handle and fake it to make it.
- Go see a movie. Is there a new movie coming out that your teen has been talking about? Going to a movie in the middle of they day would be best the odds of them running in to a friend would be slim. The last thing you need is their friends seeing you two together (at least not right away). 😉
- Find a fun e-course online and learn something together, let them pick.
- Teach them something (only if they are interested). Driving is a great choice spend a lot of time practicing with them(unless you yell a lot then let your spouse do it). 😉
- Let them teach you something this will raise their self esteem as well.
- Tell them stories from their past cool ones not embarrassing ones. Pick ones like you did something faster than other kids or you surprised us one day doing this……. it was awesome!!! Better yet remind them of things they would remember like a camping trip you went on and so and so did the funniest thing…..
- If you have multiple children having a parent child monthly date always makes them feel special.
- Do a Challenge together any challenge who can read the most books, who can win in a race, who cook the tastiest dish…….
Studies have shown spending time with your teens will help limit drug and alcohol abuse. You may even learn something new about your teen, the more time you spend with them the more they will trust you and tell you things that go on in their lives. Try it out let me know how it goes. Do you have more ideas? Let us all know and share them in the comments below.