I am a novice organizer I love having an organized space I’m sure like a lot of you. Unfortunately the space quickly returns to a disorganized mess which is of course very discouraging. For a while I thought I would never be able to organize my house and I gave up. My house became a cluttered unorganized and depressing place for me and my husband. Although they didn’t say it I am sure my children felt some anxiety from it as well. The current state of my house is a bit of a nightmare as I am typing this. I am actually working through a book called “Sparking Joy” and I feel a sense of peace as though things will get better and I can do this. I wanted to share with you my top 5 takeaways thus far and encourage you all to give it a try. It is not only freeing and up lifting it’s also fun. I am getting a thrill out of completing the tasks and seeing things leave my house and my house finally having a sense of order when it comes to our things.
- Clothes – When storing Shirts or really anything in drawers learn how to fold them so they stand on end making rows. This not only allows you to see everything in your drawers it also saves space you can fit more into each drawer because who doesn’t need that!!!! Another great benefit of storing your clothes this way is when you open your draws to get a shirt it can actually make you happy. This may sound silly but try it you will not regret it
- Papers – This may just be me but I was storing so many unnecessary papers. I only have one filing cabinet but even so reading this book has got me really thinking, “Why do we need to save utility bills or pay check stubs?” once they are paid or you have looked through them shred them get rid of them don’t store them. I never refer back to them and I also can’t really think of a reason why I would need to. For some odd reason I would file them needlessly into my file cabinet and they would sit there often for years.
- Make an event of purging – It has been very helpful to have something to hold me accountable so I am able to finish within a short period of time. Otherwise I would drag it on and on and never complete my goal. Look at your space and decide how much time everyday you would have to invest in your project. Use this information to decide on a date for a yard sale. See if your neighbors would also have a yard sale at the same time. This will not only hold you to the date but when you advertise your yard sale you will be able to say, “neighborhood yard sale” or “multiple family yard sale”. Doing this will get more people to come out and buy your stuff. On day 1 put your stuff for the price you want but on day 2 say everything is half off. When the yard sale is over either ask family members to come see if you have something they need and then donate the rest or better yet just donate it all. After that your house will be purged of all the things you don’t want or need and you will have some extra cash.
- Purging – When purging go through the clothes first and sentimental things last. This will allow you to practice deciding what you want to get rid of and what you want to keep before you get to the hard stuff. Go through everything and I mean everything!!! Do not leave anything untouched. Completely purging your house of unwanted and unneeded things is freeing and this will prevent you from allowing your self to go back to having a disorganized mess.
- Organize last – If you were to organize as you went you would have to change your organizational spaces over and over. Finding items here and there and then adding them to the perfectly organized space and throwing it out of whack. Once you go through everything and decide what you are keeping and getting rid of you will be able to see what you have. You can then see what size space it will fit in or where the best place would be to put it. Finding a place for everything.
Try these tips out and let me know what you think. If you like these tips and want to see more where they came from definitely check out the book Sparking Joy by Marie Kondo. (I am not getting any reimbursement I just felt this was worth sharing). Do you have any organizing tips you want to share? Comment and let me know and as always thank you for taking time out and reading my posts.